Monday 27 August 2012

The Fourteenth

every second; I deny
minutes, hours; I deny
is it this time of year again?
more false statements than
New Years' Eve in
nineteen ninety nine
and i ask how

could these fools
of green, copper, and gold,
ever be exchanged for a feeling,
an abstract noun, a thing?

so send a smile my way
don't be hard on me
send some love, nothing more
and leave the plastic soldiers
in their leather jackets

fluorescent hearts in shop windows 
clichéd as it is; but
there's more to me than you
and more to you
than those who came before

and so the fourteenth comes again

full of poems, prose, and alliteration
soon becoming a thoughtful relationship
a disjointed, sympathetic Hallmark

so send a smile my way
and show me mercy
for while st valentine's day
slipped my mind again
a poem is better than nothing, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment